We are currently recruiting for schools to join us as pilot locations for the 2013-2014 school year. Our goal is to extend the curriculum to a broad range of student types and develop course delivery models that can ultimately scale to a larger audience. In addition, we are especially interested in multi-school deployments within specific districts or regions, and would like to explore if your organization could be a fit. We launched Big History in some larger districts during this school year, and found that the multi-school deployment model works quite well. The Big History course is primarily designed to be a social studies/history course targeting 9th or 10th graders. However, we have developed plans to assist teachers in modifying the course deployment to offer it as:
• A capstone course, targeting 11th or 12th grade as a way for teachers and schools to coalesce and synthesize previous discipline-specific work
• An ELA course, targeting 9th and 10th grade and emphasizing use of investigations and complex texts
• An abbreviated course focused on the pure big history narrative and concepts, well-suited as a semester or summer course
• A middle school course, emphasizing interdisciplinary skills and the big history narrative as a framework for future learning and growth
We provide to pilot schools (free of charge):
• All content & courseware (the course is completely online – no textbooks!)
• Free professional development & teacher training program
• Access to core project team for support, assistance & feedback
• A teacher and school subsidy to cover any direct expenses
• A spirit of partnership. Our goal is to get Big History in the hands of educators & students, and we plan to listen and collaborate accordingly!
For further context and details on alignment to educational standards (Common Core, etc), please do read through the Big History FAQ. Also see a wider range of materials spanning tutorials, content samples, and videos posted on Bill Gates' blog at http://www.thegatesnotes.com/Big-History-Educator-landing-page.
If the program interests you, please submit a formal request to join the pilot by emailing email@example.com. There are limited spaces in the pilot, so please drop us a line as soon as possible. The process to apply is simple - after expressing interest we will reach out to schedule a preliminary phone call, and if there is a fit we will take it from there. We look forward to working with you!